Pair the controller to the PC. It doesn’t have to be paired with every use. Once will suffice. Now you can use your controller wirelessly. Any avid gamer would tell you that PC games offer better experience if they are coupled with the right controller. No matter how simple the game’s controls are, the usage of keyboard and mouse of the PC for controlling can be quite difficult. Even if you are well-versed in gaming this way, you will not get a satisfactory experience. Keyboard keys and mouse buttons are not adequate to match the dynamics of any game.
How To Connect A PS4 Controller on PC:
All you need to do, to overcome this shortcoming is to use your PS4 controller for PC games. Every gamer is bound to have a PlayStation 4 controller but not many of us know that it can be connected to our PC. This procedure is not a direct plug and plays as it requires additional software. But it is quite simple, and soon enough, you can enjoy playing your computer system games through your PlayStation 4 controller.
Many Windows systems come equipped with Xbox and most operating systems are compatible with PS4 controllers as well. Read on to find out about the steps involved in using your PS4 controller on PC. There are several PS4 controllers, and the procedure to connect them to your PC may vary slightly for each controller. Given below are the steps for a PS4 Dualshock controller. Follow these to be able to use the PS4 controller on PC gaming.
Step 1: Install DS4Windows
In order to connect your PS4 to your PC, an additional software is required. This software is the DS4Windows. This software gives your PC the ability to recognize and support your PS4 controller. We know that an Xbox is compatible with Windows. The DS4Windows makes your computer treat your PS4 controller, just like an Xbox controller. The DS4Windows is found online and can be downloaded for free. So you have to first install this on your PC.
- Go to the official website, “www.ds4windows.com” and click on the download button.
- The download process will start and a zip file will be saved.
- From the zip folder, ‘extract all’ the files. Extract and save these files to the desired location.
- Two files will be extracted. Select the executable file (DS4Windows.exe), and run it. After a series of ‘next’ buttons, you will finally be given the option, ‘install’.
- The software will start installing. This process might take a couple of minutes.
Step 2: Set up
- After installation, open the DS4Windows.
- In the dialog box that pops up, select the default storage location as ‘AppData’.
- In the next window, click ‘Install the DS4 Driver’.
Step 3: Connecting the PS4 controller to your PC
After the DS4Windows is successfully installed and set up in your PC, the final step is to connect your PS4 controller on PC. This can be done in two ways.
Method 1: Via a USB cable
- Take a micro USB cable. This can even be the USB cable on your smartphones.
- Connect the PS4 controller and the PC using the cable.
- Now the installed DS4Windows will enable your PC to detect the controller.
Method 2: Via Bluetooth
If you are tired of tugging around the cable while playing games, you can opt for this method. The Bluetooth connection gives wireless connectivity and hence you can freely move your controller around your PC or MAC to offer more ease of use while gaming. But for this to work your system needs to have an inbuilt Bluetooth option. This won’t be an issue with most Windows PCs and laptops are pre-installed with Bluetooth. If this is not the case, will have to buy a Bluetooth dongle for your PC. Once your system is equipped with Bluetooth, follow these steps.
- Open the Bluetooth on your PC. Go to Bluetooth > Settings > Wireless controller. See if your controller is being displayed.
- If not, press-hold the center button of the controller for a few seconds, till a flash appears. Now the device will be visible on your PC.