In this age of increasing cyber threats, viruses, and malware you need to be equipped with the best tools and software to protect your system. Defending your system from such threats should be your first priority. Compromising with your system’s protection can prove to be fatal. A number of antivirus/ tools are available online that can help you in coping with all kinds of threats to your system.
In today’s post, we will be comparing two of the most popular Antivirus/Cyber-Security Software, Bitdefender and Avast. We will be providing you with an in-depth comparison between these widely used Antivirus Software. So, without any further ado let’s get started!
A Brief introduction to Bitdefender:
Bitdefender Antivirus has been developed by a Romanian Cyber Security company called BitDefender. It was established in the year 2001 and since then it has emerged as one of the best in the field of Cyber Security, Security Softwares, and Hardware. Currently, Bitdefender is protecting more than 500 million users spread across 150 countries.
Bitdefender uses advanced technologies like Machine Learning to stay one step ahead of modern-day Viruses, Cyber Threats, and Malware.
Their security solutions are not limited to Windows. They have various tools and software for Android, iOS, and Mac too.
A Brief introduction to Avast:
Avast Antivirus is developed by Avast which is one of the most popular and largest companies in the field of Cyber Security. Avast is not behind Bitdefender when it comes to using next-gen technologies in order to fight against all kinds of threats.
They are currently serving more than 438 million users that are spread across 186 countries. According to data, Avast blocks more than 3 billion cyber-attacks every month.
Windows users can try Avast for free on their PCs and Laptops. Apart from that, Avast has three paid versions including Avast Internet Security, Avast Ultimate, and Avast Premium.
An in-depth comparison Avast vs Bitdefender:
In order to compare the two, we will be rating them on factors like Protection against viruses, Resource consumption, User-Interface, and their Price. So, let’s start the comparison with Security Features.
1. Security-Related Features:-
Bitdefender provides great protection against viruses and malware, no doubt in that. But it lags behind when it comes to providing extra security-related features. Whereas Avast has a rich set of extra security-related features. Apart from malware protection, Avast offers its users advanced features like Web & Email Protection, home network inspector, password vault, etc. Avast’s Safezone browser makes sure that you have a safe online shopping/online banking experience. The Avast Online Security Browser prevents you from common threats like Phishing.
2. Protection Against Viruses:-
Both Bitdefender and Avast performed pretty good against viruses and “zero-day” malware. According to the tests conducted by AV-Comparatives (an Australian testing lab), Bitdefender managed to block 99.99% of the viruses and malware whereas Avast managed to block 99.6%. Hence, both of them performed really well against viruses and malware.
Avast reported 13 false positives while Bitdefender reported none. These test results were confirmed by the tests conducted by various other labs like the German AV-Test labs. Bitdefender always outperformed Avast by a small margin.
3. System Performance/Resource Consumption:-
Nobody wants their PC to perform poorly because of excessive resource consumption of Antivirus software. That’s why it is important to look at the Resource Consumption stats of each Antivirus Software.
Bitdefender’s developers have done a tremendous job in minimizing its resource consumption. While inactive, Bitdefender consumed 4% of the system’s resources while during an active scan the number raised to 15%. These numbers are really great. Hence we can safely say that Bitdefender is very light on your system.
Avast’s performance was pretty average in comparison to Bitdefender. Let’s have a look at detailed system performance.
- While using popular websites – 15% (19% industry average)
- While using frequently-used apps – 1% (1% industry average)
- While copying files – 2% (3% industry average)
- While using Standard Programs – 6% (8% industry average)
- While using popular websites – 25%
- While using frequent-used apps – 0%
- While copying files – 2%
- While using Standard Programs – 13%
As you can see Bitdefender is a clear winner here.
Bitdefender’s user-interface is uncluttered although it can be a little difficult to navigate around. Bitdefender’s window can’t be resized. All the necessary features are available on the home screen. On the other hand, Avast has a pretty clear, simple, and easy to navigate user interface. To be honest, we didn’t find any much of a difference between the UI of both of these Antiviruses but we feel that Avast has a slight edge over Bitdefender. I really found it simple to navigate between various features and settings in Avast. That’s Avast is the winner here.
Bitdefender’s premium suites cost much less than Avast’s Premium Suites. Bitdefender also provides you with great offers and discounts. So, there is nothing much to say here. Bitdefender is clearly the winner.
- Security-Related Features: When it comes to features, Avast is a clear winner. It offers a large number of security-related features and utilities in Suites. Whereas, BitDefender does not have that many security-related features in comparison to Avast.
- Protection against malware & viruses: It was really hard to decide a winner but Bitdefender had a slight edge over Avast. According to me, both Avast and Bitdefender are able to protect you from modern viruses and malware.
- Resource Consumption: Antiviruses are known for putting a lot of strain on the system’s resources. But that’s not the case with Bitdefender and Avast. Both of them are pretty light on the system. I think Bitdefender has a slight edge over Avast.
- User-Interface: Nobody likes a complicated user-interface. According to me, Avast has a better UI in comparison to Bitdefender.
- Price: Bitdefender is a clear winner here. Bitdefender’s premium suites will be much lighter on your pocket than Avast.
Final Verdict on BitDefender vs Avast | BitDefender WON!
After analyzing all the factors we talked about, I think BitDefender rises on the top. Yes, Avast clearly offers a greater number of security-related features than Bitdefender but a number of tests prove that both Bitdefender and Avast are equally effective against various types of malware and viruses. Now, as BitDefender is much cheaper and light on the system I will advise you to go with Bitdefender without any second thoughts.
So, that’s it for today’s post on Bitdefender vs Avast. We hope that now you have got a much clearer idea about which Security/Antivirus tool is better for you. Stay tuned for more such informative posts. Thanks for reading.